General Contractor

• 1.  Tax Exemption Management System

Posted 07-26-2023 14:18

For capturing and managing Tax Exemption Certificates and the ongoing status of those exemptions, what are the systems and choices available that CFMA members use or recommend?  The business requirement is the expected process for knowing that a customer account is exempt, or a project is specifically exempt, or that a customer has requested to be exempt maybe as a reseller, etc.  Also how to manage the approvals, renewals, etc.  We use CertiTax but that seems more of a customer upload portal to capture the Exemption files.  There are more processes to then review and approve an Exemption request that follows.  Any help greatly appreciated!

------------------------------
    Timothy Tomasic
    Project Manager
    Trane Technologies
    Grover MO
    (314) 707-6280

• 2.  RE: Tax Exemption Management System

Posted 07-27-2023 09:38

I like to use our ERP to track those when we can. In Vista by Viewpoint/Trimble, I had added custom fields to the job master screen that let me designate each project's applicable tax exemption status and the dates of the exemption. Then, I had some custom reporting to let project assistants be alerted a month before they expired (if they expired) and I integrated these custom fields into my sales tax reporting process. 

Seth Belt - Accounting Business Analyst
    Sherwood Companies - Wichita KS
    seth.belt@sherwood.net
    --NO SOLICITATION--