New York City, NY

• 1.  NYC OATH Idling Violation

Posted 12-01-2022 11:18
    Anyone have experience with an Idling Violation?  We've done business in NYC for 40 years and have NEVER seen this.  We've received 2 violations and they are hefty fines - $ 1,000 a piece!

Hearing isn't scheduled for a year, but looking for others in this situation.  Feel free to call and reach out to me directly.

------------------------------
    Lymor Wasserman
    VP Finance
    Atlantic Cooling Technology & Services, LLC
    Carlstadt NJ
    (201) 939-0900

• 2.  RE: NYC OATH Idling Violation

Posted 12-02-2022 06:48
    The NYC anti-idling law has been in effect since 1971, but was not enforced very much until the last several years.  Unless necessary, you cannot let a vehicle idle for more than 3 minutes.  Fines start at $300 but can go up to $3000.  Very seldom is there a reason to keep a vehicle running for 3 minutes.  You should, however, challenge the fine.  Fines are normally $300 for the first offense, $460 for the second, and $620 for the third and any subsequent offenses, according to the city penalties.  So if you are being fined $100 for only the third offense, challenge.

Jonathan Appel MBA
    Principal
    JHA Consulting Group Ltd.
    White Plains NY
    (914) 391-9201

• 3.  RE: NYC OATH Idling Violation

Posted 12-02-2022 08:20
    The fine is $ 1,000 for first offense which is why I'm questioning it!

Are there posted signs for idling, or is this anywhere in Manhattan?

To be quite honest, for a driver to pull over on the side of the road to use his phone or re-enter directions can take 3 minutes.  Or, if we are delivering materials to a building, after the delivery pulling away from the dock and one is waiting for the foreman to sign the paperwork while the other is waiting in the vehicle can take more than 3 minutes.

We will be challenging it and since they are so backlogged, the hearing isn't until May 2023, so I have time to research and see how to challenge it.

Hoping there are others out there who have had a similar experience that I can draw from what worked or didn't work when challenging it.

Lymor Wasserman
    VP Finance
    Atlantic Cooling Technology & Services, LLC
    Carlstadt NJ
    (201) 939-0900