Tampa Bay, Tampa, FL

ERC Refund - How long have you waited?

• 1.  ERC Refund - How long have you waited?

Posted 03-06-2023 10:41

If you filed a 941-X for an ERC refund of more than $100k, how long did it take for payment to be received from the IRS?

My company filed 941-X for Q1, Q2, and Q3 of 2021 related to the Employee Retention Credit (ERC), We are still waiting for payment for the Q1 and Q2 returns.  We filed Q1 in September 2021 and Q2 in January 2022, so we have been waiting approximately 18 months and 15 months, respectively.  Oddly, we received payment for Q3 a couple of months ago, so it was paid in approximately 9 months.  All 3 quarters were prepared in the exact same manner.

In speaking to our outside auditors who have experts in this area, 18 months is as long as they have heard of.  However, in my most recent conversation (03-06-23) with the good people at the IRS, I was told my wait time is not unheard of, and may even be typical for returns over $100,000. (ERC returns over $100,000 have a mandatory 2nd level of review, so payment for returns under $100,000 should be less of a waiting period in general.) 

In addition to sharing how long you have/are waiting for payment, any lessons learned or other words of advice?

------------------------------
    Steve Hunt CPA
    CFO
    Alto Construction Company, Inc.
    Tampa FL
    (813) 241-2586
    ------------------------------