Heavy Highway Contractor

• 1.  Equipment Hours

Posted 10-25-2022 11:47
    Can anyone give me telematics software suggestions for tracking equipment hours.

------------------------------
    Cindy Headley
    Crestline Construction Company, LLC
    The Dalles OR
    (541) 406-1000

• 2.  RE: Equipment Hours

Posted 10-26-2022 08:58
    Hi Cindy,
    It really depends on what type of equipment you are needing to track and what you want to do with the data.   If you are talking about heavy iron with telematics built in, then I would recommend Cat Visionlink, as it can pull telematics data from all the manufactures.   If you want more robust reporting and also want to work with third party telematic systems, where you can decide what system you want to install on your equipment, then I would suggest you look at IVO Systems as they are not tied to any one specific telematic system.   www.ivosystems.com

Direct message me if you would like to discuss it further as I have spent 38 years in Heavy Civil, and I love this stuff.

Steve Hathaway
    Construction Software Solutions
    (303) 617-5500
    Fewer Systems--Better Data

• 3.  RE: Equipment Hours

Posted 10-26-2022 09:36
    In my experience, the best practice is to track the equipment hours is in the company's ERP system along with the payroll hours.

Cindy Nelson-Walters CCIFP
    Management Professional
    Great Lakes Water Authority
    Northville MI
    (313) 418-4423

• 4.  RE: Equipment Hours

Posted 07-17-2023 17:04
    Hi Cindy,

I recently became a member of CFMA, so I apologize for the delayed response to your post. I wanted to provide some information that could be useful for future readers.

When it comes to accurately tracking equipment hours, the most reliable method is by utilizing the telematics system provided by the manufacturer. Almost all manufacturers offer a system, at least for any equipment manufactured after 2015 or so. For instance, Cat has VisionLink and my.cat.com, John Deere has JD Link, Komatsu has Komtrax, and Volvo has Caretrack, among others.

The rationale behind using the manufacturer's system is that each machine has unique characteristics, and even pulling basic data like engine hours can vary across different makes. Some systems, such as JDLink and Komtrax, are available free of charge, making it an obvious choice to use the manufacturer's telematics system.

For older or non-connected equipment like light towers, cranes, generators, etc., you have the option of using third-party systems. Samsara, Geotab, Verizon, and HCSS are some commonly used ones. These systems can connect to the equipment using a simple 3-wire connection, a 9-pin connection for additional engine data, or an OBD-II connection for on-road fleet.

If you have a mixed fleet, integrating all these systems and extracting the data into your ERP system, like Vista, can be overwhelming and time-consuming. You can choose to do it manually, or you can opt for "single pane of glass" software that collects all the data and provides a convenient centralized solution. My company, https://getclue.com, offers such a system, and there are other options available to suit your specific requirements.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions that you would prefer to discuss offline, please feel free to email me.

Best regards, Oded

Oded Ran
    Co-founder & CEO
    Clue
    [Email]
    (424) 360-4645
    linkedin.com/odedran